Disable Right Click

Monday, August 5, 2013

Breakfast


























I make this for breakfast a lot after working out in the morning. So good, quick and satisfying.

Drizzle a little olive oil on a slice of hardy bread and sprinkle it lightly with kosher salt.
Broil in the oven on one side until golden. Remove from oven and let sit for a minute or so.
Spread ricotta cheese on the toasted side.
Top cheese with a variety of chopped herbs and sliced Kalamata olives.

I prefer to use goat cheese, but at the time I only had ricotta on hand and it was still yummy.  I also switch up the herbs a lot, using whatever I have on hand (which is sometimes just one herb).

This is good in lots of different ways. Instead of olives I sometimes top with halved grape tomatoes that have been quickly sauteed in a few drops of olive oil over high heat. Or, another favorite if I've got a sweet tooth going on is to leave off the herbs and top the cheese with warm peaches (leave on the skin, slice, and saute for a few minutes in a tablespoon of water, teaspoon or so of honey, and a few whole cloves - just long enough to give the peaches a nice glaze, maybe 3-4 minutes - let cool a bit, remove cloves, and add to top of the cheese).

I have to admit, I miss the tiny garden we tended in the backyard of our previous suburban home.  Just a modest bounty with mostly herbs and a tiny collection of vegetables. Nothing beats fresh picked herbs and foods for simple and delicious day-to-day cooking. I miss trekking out to that little plot and collecting super fresh ingredients for a meal.

Not saying I don't love my condo life. I can't imagine living any other way now. But we sure do miss that little garden at this time of year!

Our balcony doesn't get enough sun to grow much - goodness knows I've tried!

Hooray for farmer's markets and well stocked grocery stores!

No comments: