Disable Right Click

Friday, July 19, 2013

Simple


This week I made an easy recipe from Real Simple magazine that I think you'll love as much as we did - Linguine with Summer Vegetables and Goat Cheese. I'm addicted to creamy, sharp goat cheese and have been putting it on practically everything lately.

I can't pass by the cookbook section of any store without stopping for a quick peek at the newest publications. The other day I picked up "It's All Good", and I'm excited to make a meal this weekend with two recipes - Perfect Herbed Grilled Chicken, and, Mango & Avocado Salad with Balsamic-Lime Vinaigrette.

I don't buy many cookbooks anymore (I already have way too many, and, I only have SO much room in our tiny condo :), so before I bought it I spent a good 15 minutes reading it to be sure it would meet my needs, and it did...

The ingredients were mostly fresh and easily accessible at the grocery store.
There ingredient lists weren't too long.
The recipes weren't too complicated.
The recipes were healthy. 

From this book I've already tried for breakfast - An Olive Oil Fried Egg. So easy and good.

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 organic egg
Coarse Sea Salt

Heat the olive oil in a small nonstick skillet over high heat. Have a lid for the pan at the ready. Have the salt crock within reaching distance.
Crack the egg into a small bowl (I found it easier to slip the egg into the hot skillet from the bowl rather than fumbling with cracking the eggs directly into the skillet - I cook two eggs at a time)
Slide the egg into the hot oil.
Immediately sprinkle on salt and cover with the lid.
It's going to crackle and sputter loudly beneath that lid, but that's OK. No peeking allowed (seriously, don't lift the lid because it's really popping in there).
Let it cook one minute. Yes, just one minute. A few seconds more and you'll get a semi-solid yolk.
Turn off the heat and let it calm down in there for a few seconds.
Immediately remove egg.

You can serve the eggs over any good left over base from last night's dinner - stir-fried veggies or quinoa (both recommended in the recipe). I think grilled veggies would be good.

Not having left overs that would work, I slipped the eggs over a patty of freshly made loose grits before sprinkling it all with cracked pepper.

Just around the edges of the egg is a crisp skirt which adds a wonderful crunch here and there. The yolk is creamy and lusciously dip-able, perfect for dunking a chuck of toasted nutty bread into.

Add a cup of cappuccino. Call it a morning.

Simplicity and good food. That's what cooking is all about for me.

No comments: