Disable Right Click

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Rustic Baked Eggs



Last Sunday morning I made "Rustic Baked Eggs" - a recipe I jotted down a long time ago. It was scribbled on the back of a torn piece of paper and dropped in a stack of recipes that I've collected over the years.

I was looking for something that would use the ton of fresh herbs we have in the fridge, and this looked good and easy. Although next time I make it I'll use twice the amount of herbs it called for.

As I was getting ready to cook, I realized that the ingredients called for chopped Kalamata olives, but my hand-written recipe didn't indicate when they should be added. So I sprinkled them on top of the dish (pushed them down into the mix a little) as the last step before the final broiling. Cooking is all about improvising, no matter how small it might be!

Rustic Baked Eggs

2 Tbl full fat milk
2 Tbl heavy cream
5 Eggs
2 Tbl olive oil
1 minced clove garlic
4-5 Tbl chopped mix of fresh herbs, or to taste
Feta cheese, crumbled
Kalamata olives, roughly chopped
Salt and pepper (to taste - cheese and olives add saltiness so I went VERY light on salt)

In a small bowl combine olive oil, herbs, and garlic, set aside.
In a separate dish crack the eggs.
Put butter and cream in a shallow broiler proof dish. Sprinkle with salt.
Place milk mixture dish under preheated broiler and cook until bubbly (5 minutes or so).
Remove the pan from the broiler and immediately but gently drop in eggs one at a time equally around the top of the bubbling mix. Carefull not to break the yolks. Sprinkle eggs with salt and pepper.
Drop the herb mix on top of the eggs and spread around (careful not to break a yolk, like I did).
Sprinkle the cheese and olives on the top.
Broil until eggs are done to your liking - I went for 5 minutes but to me the eggs were too done so next time I'll reduce the cooking time.

We ate it with toasted, grainy bread (we love "Harvest" loaves from Whole Foods) and our favorite morning beverage, cappuccino.

It was DELICIOUS.

There are a ton of recipes for baked eggs on the web.

Here's a similar recipe from Ina Garten that's cooked in individual gratin dishes, which I really like. But she doesn't use Feta or olives, which to me make the dish, so I'd add them for sure.

Here's another, which looks almost the same as the recipe I have.

No comments: